Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Relationship with Food... all around the world!

Today I'm 218.2 lbs. You know, I've actually been around 245 lbs. When you're this size and lose 25 lbs, nobody notices... especially with how slow I lose weight! But, I'm very glad not to be 245 anymore. I can tell the difference.

I worked out really hard today at the Y. On Wednesdays, I have this teeny tiny aerobics instructor named Amy who has to bring her knees all the way to her chin before she can squeeze ANYTHING on her stomach. I like her, though. One thing I like most about her is that she LIVES it... exercise, sports, activity are her life. She's competed in the collegiate Ironman. I think that I want to be like her in one way; exercise and fitness are her drugs!

My mom has always been thin as well. Not fit, like Amy, but thin. Heck, I'd trade thin and unfit for fat any day! Mom's sorta typical... eats what she wants in moderation and then diets for a few days if she gains anything. I'm not going to tell you her size, because I don't know how she'd feel about it, but just trust me when I say that she looks good and always has.

Mom and I both told each other on Monday that we had to cut back this week on the calories. Yesterday, when she was babysitting for me, she told me about all the vegetables she was going to eat for lunch. Then, today she calls to see if I would like for her to bring over two cranberry/walnut cookies that she would bake in my oven while we visit. I declined!!! Yeah for me!!! Later, on the phone, she was eating the cookies and then told me about the fried chicken she got at a nearby restaurant for lunch. Now, to my Mom's credit, she is going to eat just veggies for dinner. But, when you're ME, you can't do the cookies and fried chicken and call it "cutting back." Oh, this road is lonely!

Back to Amy: Amy talked today about how tv will sabbotage a diet. She's right. She went on to talk about how events and celebrations need to be about activity and not food. Right, again. For New Year's, she and her friends celebrate by doing a run. While I know she's right, I told her I'd have to give up my family, probably even my husband, if I took food away from our celebrations. Oh, and tv... I've had a love/hate relationship with tv my whole life. I have some of my best memories involving food and television... quality family time! I remember having warm fuzzies on a cold winter evening when Dad cooked a pot of spicy chili, aroma lingering in the air, while I watched The Carol Burnett Show once my homework was complete. Of course, those types of memories are abundant.

This type of relationship with food is everywhere, even on the other side of the world. I lived in the Philippines for two years as a missionary. Of course, traditionally, Filipinos are very thin because of the poverty. In the past 10 years, the economy there has gotten better, so not everyone is as skinny as they once were. A woman with meat on her bones is considered "sexy." Think about how freaked out I was when, as a solid size 12/14, I was told how sexy I was all the time. Of course, I just heard "fat." In my mind, I would have traded bodies with any of them.

Well, I better go now. I'm wondering if anybody wants me to post what I'm eating. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment